NOW HIRING: Research Assistant
NOW HIRING: Research Assistant
Overview: The International Transportation Learning Center (ITLC), operator of the Transit Workforce Center (TWC), seeks a motivated early career professional to join our growing research team and contribute to our mission of advancing comprehensive workforce development programs that support public transportation’s operators, technicians, and other frontline workers. This individual will maintain the TWC Resource Center, hosted on the TWC website, through the collection and curation of resources on public transportation workforce development; assist with qualitative and quantitative research projects; and contribute to written materials including research reports, case studies, and blog posts.
About ITLC: Founded in 2001, the International Transportation Learning Center is a non-profit organization based in Silver Spring, MD. It is dedicated to advancing workforce development in public transportation and related sectors at the national, state, and local levels. To accomplish this mission, the ITLC supports labor-management partnerships throughout the transportation industry and relevant non-profit and government partnerships that help develop programs to improve organizational capacity and expand worker skills and career opportunities.
About TWC: In 2021, the Federal Transit Administration selected ITLC as its first-ever national technical assistance center to help transit agencies recruit, hire, train, and retain the diverse workforce needed now and in the future. TWC supports public transit agencies’ workforce development needs for all modes of public transit across urban, tribal, and rural entities while providing strategic leadership on public transportation’s workforce development needs.
- Work with research team members to manage and continuously improve the Resource Center on the TWC website. The Resource Center hosts publications, standards, training materials, tools, and other resources pertaining to public transportation workforce development and is a key vehicle for TWC delivery of technical assistance to transit organizations. The Research Assistant will identify, catalog, and post resources on the Resource Center
- Coordinate with colleagues, partners, and web development contractor on design, layout, and other improvements to the Resource Center and other research-related website content
- Assist with selection and dissemination of Resource Center materials through collaboration with communications staff and other colleagues
- Provide direct technical assistance to transit industry organizations in response to requests for Resource Center materials
- Serve as lead and co-author of blog posts and other written products summarizing existing and ongoing research on topics related to public transportation workforce development
- Assist and collaborate with research team colleagues on activities including but not limited to:
- Proposal development and background research including literature reviews
- Refining, updating, and expanding the Transit Workforce Data Dashboard
- Analyzing industry data
- Qualitative research activities including surveys, interviews, and focus groups
- Contributing to research briefs, case studies, and other publications
- Tracking internal metrics and project milestones and reporting on progress to funding agencies
- Carry out general research using computer, internet search, government and academic sources, labor market / education / transit industry datasets, and other sources
- Support TWC events including webinars and the Making Connections conference, as well as potential travel to industry conferences
- Perform other related tasks as needed
We recognize that strong candidates may not meet all of the following specific qualifications. We encourage you to apply if your skills and experience align with some or all of the following:
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in social sciences, industrial relations, labor studies, economics, history, political science, public policy, sociology, urban studies, transportation, or related areas
- Prior professional or internship/assistantship-level experience in research design, development, and implementation, or equivalent research experience as could be gained through an academic independent study project
- Combination of education and work experience will be considered
- Strong working knowledge of computer applications such as Microsoft Office (including proficiency in Excel)
- Strong analytic skills and experience working with academic sources, large volumes of qualitative data (such as interview transcripts) and quantitative data (such as national datasets); ability to learn how to use survey platforms (e.g. Alchemer, Qualtrics), statistical analysis software (e.g. STATA, SPSS, SAS, R, Python, SQL), and WordPress or a similar website design platform preferred
- Outstanding organizational and time-management skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, copywriting, and presentation skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, manage multiple projects simultaneously, and meet deadlines
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and access and to economic mobility and worker empowerment
- Ability to travel and represent the ITLC and TWC at conferences and meetings and present research findings
- Familiarity with workforce development and/or public transportation topics preferred
- Knowledge of geospatial and/or data visualization software would be a plus
Start Date: Spring or Summer 2023
Compensation: Commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package including healthcare, dental, vision insurance; life/disability insurance; company contribution to Simplified Employee Pension Plan and employee voluntary contribution to 403(b) retirement program; generous paid vacation and holidays.
Application Instructions: Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org . You are encouraged to submit 2 brief writing samples from a professional or academic context which reflect your analytical and writing abilities.
The ITLC values diversity, inclusion, and equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, age, sex (Including sexual orientation, gender identity, and pregnancy), national or ethnic origin, religion, disability, or veteran status. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Contact Name: Joyce E. Williams, Office Manager/HR
Contact Email: email@example.com